26.9.14

Clay Street Press

Hyeyoung Shin, The Weight of Being
Clay Street Press
Opening Reception on Friday Sept. 26th from 6-9pm.
Clay Street Press is located at 1312 Clay Street, Cincinnati 45202

An intimate experience creates a Place, transforming installations into more familiar, personal spaces. In this work, I seek to create Place through interaction with my participants to produce objects that serve as profound metaphors for intimate spaces and the weight of being  human.

I offer an intimate look at the presence of strangers. Viewers walk amongst each other and casts of feet, which occupy and share their space. Two-dimensional  photographs of the bottom of feet suggest the corporal weight of bodies, evoking a physical interaction between the artwork and viewers, and requesting acceptance of the human.


Casting individuals' feet is a true collaborative and participatory act, which allows me to establish a sincere connection with the participants . During more than thirty sessions of feet casting, my participants and I shared the stories of our lives. Through their time and genuine effort our memories were drawn together. Without their gifts, my art is incomplete. It is their support and trust, shared through our communication, that creates the wisdom that fulfills my art and serves as a form of prayer to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment